Founder and Principal, Built to Last Solutions, LLC
Marvin is a seasoned leadership coach, talent strategist and human resources executive with 25+ years of experience working with leaders and talent at all levels in world-class organizations including The Coca-Cola Company, W.R. Grace & Co., EY, AT&T, and NCR Corporation.
His mission/purpose is to coach, teach, mentor, and empower leaders to be the best versions of themselves. Marvin’s aim is to encourage, stretch, equip, and empower them to be amazing leaders that make a profound impact on their families, places of work and communities. They often find something is getting in the way --- it may be lack of self-awareness, confidence, lack of practical tools, limited exposure, inadequate accountability or a feeble strategy and playbook that allows them to maximize their performance and focus, build their credibility and competence, and illuminate their character.
What makes Marvin stand apart from other leadership coaches in the same arena?
- His core professional belief is simple: he truly cares. When working on a project, he works with a heightened sense of empathy ensuring that every person in the value chain is a winner. People – not the end game are what create the foundation of any successful strategy.
- Marvin makes it safe to be vulnerable and reveal your positive core beliefs, passions, values, and interests as well as fears and failures. He understands our greatest assignments and true genius is often revealed not only in best moments but in times of failure and disappointment.
- Marvin strives to be the best version of himself and approaches his organizational and leadership development work with the same spirit. By working with Marvin, leaders get better at it --- whatever that is for them.
- As an organizational and leadership development professional, Marvin is highly relational and lives for the grunt i.e.., the question, the observation, or insight where the leader physically experiences what is required and is mentally and spiritually prepared to get out of their comfort zone to truly wrestle with critical matter to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Marvin sees himself as more than a coach. He becomes the leader’s ALLY --standing by her side even in the darkest places and helping navigate and steer through times of significant organization change and personal and professional challenges.
Key Work Experiences
- Built To Last Solutions, LLC: Executive Coach, Speaker, Trainer, Talent Strategist & Human Capital Consultant
- Forbes Coaches Council Member & Forbes.com Contributor (2019)
- Work Life Leader Program: Executive & Leadership Coach for Non-Profit Leaders
- Trinity Washington University – Washington: Adjunct Professor/Lecturer
- Abt Associates, Inc.: Vice President, Human Resources
- W.R. Grace & Co: Global Human Resources Director
- The Coca-Cola Company: Senior Director, Human Resources; Chief of Staff for SVP, Human Resources; Director, Talent Development; Sr. HR Manager
- Laureate Education: HR Director, Corporate Center & International Operations
- EY (formetly CapGemini/Ernst and Young: Senior Consultant – Change Management and Human Resources Transformation
- NCR Corporation / AT&T GIS: Business & Financial Analyst; HR Development Consultant; Human Resources Manager
Key Executive/Leadership Coaching Focus Areas
- Helping leaders and teams effectively navigate and manage transformational change
- Leading with authenticity and building trust, credibility, and engagement
- Building cultures that value diversity, inclusion, equity, justice, and belonging
- Building a strong personal brand and executive presence
- Collaborative problem-solving, creativity and critical thinking.
- Building personal and value-based relationships at all levels
Managing difficult work relationships & navigating difficult conversations
- Coaching leaders for improved organization, team, and individual performance
- Strategic Planning
- Executive Coaching
Learning and Development
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Succession Management
- Human Resources Management
- Career Planning
- Change Management
- Communication Management
Practical application of core capabilities:
- Steering leaders and organizations through periods of accelerated change
- Taking leaders and organizations to the next level of performance
- Developing powerful business strategies and aligning programs
- Developing and building successful business processes/HR functions
- Delivering best-in-class standards of productivity, efficiency, and quality
- Information Technology
- Financial Services
- Energy and Utilities
- Construction Products
- Consumer Products
Not-For- Profit Entities
Education: Marvin holds a B.B.A. from James Madison University with specialization in Finance and an M.B.A. from The George Washington University in Human Resources Management.
Certifications & Training
Here is a list of relevant training and certifications: Certified Professional Coach Through Institute of Professional Excellence in Coaching; Energy Leadership Index – Master Practitioner; International Coach Federation Credentialed Coach; Executive Coaching Certification Training Through International Coaching Association – ICA; (Hogan Assessments Certification: HPI (Strengths), HDS (Derailers), MVPI (Values); LEAD NOW! 360 Feedback Assessment Certification; Coach Mindset – Elite Life Coaching Certification (www.MitchMatthews.com); Case Western (David Cooperider) / EY Certification in Appreciative Inquiry Change Management Methodology; AT&T University Certified Coaching Trainer --- train internal managers in basic coaching skills
Passions and Interests
Marvin is much more than just an executive coach and business consultant. He is a leader in his family and community, serving as a youth coach in three different sports and active involvement in local civic / service activities. He enjoys traveling, spending time with his family, and go cart racing.
Engagements with Leaders In The Following Organizations
Aflac (Supplemental Insurance); Camelback Ventures; Children’s Hospital – Washington, DC; EL Education; District of Columbia Water (Utility); Georgia Tech University; Harbor Bank of Maryland; Howard University; Human Resources Certification Institute; Mastery Charter Schools; Night of Peace Family Shelter; Towson University; W.R. Grace & Co.; Visit Baltimore; The Universities at Shady Grove; World Education Services; Year Up – Baltimore