When to Apply
We accept applications for our certification exams twice a year for the two exam testing periods. Apply early to make sure that your registration is confirmed and that you get your choice of exam date, time and location.
How to Apply
Apply online by creating an Online Profile to obtain an User ID # and password. If you already have your 12-digit User ID # and password you may begin the online application process by entering them as your login information to access your Online Profile. Learn more about applying for the HRBP and HRMP certification exams.
What You Need to Fill Out the Application
You will need to give us the following information:
- Email address -- During the application process, we will send all communications by email, to the email address you list in the application
- Full name as it appears on your government-issued ID -- At the test center, you will be required to present an unexpired, government-issued ID. Make sure the name on your application matches the ID you will present at the test center.
- Mailing address --We will mail score reports and certificates to the “primary” address that you list on your application
- Demographic information --This will include information such as your age, sex and company name. We request this information so that we can learn more about certification candidates. We do not use this information to determine who is eligible to take an exam. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or disability.
- 12-digit User ID number (If you are already certified or you have applied in the past, you already have this User ID number. This ID number is different from your SHRM member number-if you have one). You will need your User ID number and a password to review and modify your applications online, to schedule exams and to communicate with us before and after you become certified. If you submitted a paper application, please allow 10 business days for the information to be available in your online file.)
- Info changes --After applying, you can review or modify your contact information online. Please note that only our staff can make name changes.
- Qualifying HR work experience -- You must fill out the Qualifying HR Work Experience section of the application unless you recertify by exam or you are CA certification candidate. The position or positions you list in this section must exactly match the approved position codes.
If you cannot find an exact match for your job title on the position code list, you must list that job title as “Other” on your application. Then fill out and submit a Supporting Documentation form and attach an official job description to show that the position was at a professional level and that at least 51 percent of the daily activities were HR focused. If you do not provide this information, you will not be eligible to take the exam. Because of the volume of applications we receive, we cannot pre-approve applications for eligibility.
- SHRM Member Number (if you have one)
- Felony Conviction Statement -- In compliance with the accreditation that the HR Certification Institute received from the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) in 2008, we ask that you answer a felony (serious crime) conviction statement.
- Affirmation -- You will be asked to affirm that the information submitted on the application is complete and true. The affirmation also attests that you have read the HR Certification Handbook and agree to be bound by all policies and procedures outlined in it.
- Application Fee Payment